EvalIndigenous concept paper

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EvalIndigenous concept paper

This is the beginning of what I hope becomes important global discussion.
    Attached Files

Thanks for sharing this new EvalIndigenous concept paper, Larry. I remember participating in your small working group in Kathmandu, and I can see that you’ve built upon those discussions – and no doubt other discussions you’ve had since November – to advance your thinking on this issue. Congratulations on moving this forward.

As you know very well, I’m not an expert in this field, so any comments from me should be taken lightly. However, I’ve read your paper carefully, and I would like to offer one question: Is it possible that you might actually be underestimating the desired outcomes from this initiative? You list several outcomes in your section “What Does EvalIndigenous Want to Achieve”, but I was struck while reading the concept paper that perhaps there are even more outcomes implicit in some of your plans. If so, perhaps it might be useful to make those other desired outcomes more explicit?

Of course I might be wrong, so feel free to ignore this if you think that’s the case. But for your consideration – and to help stimulate that global discussion you desire -- I’m listing below 10 outcomes it seems you might be aiming to achieve, organized into four separate categories. I list these 10 desired outcomes separately because, it seems to me, each desired outcome might require a slightly different set of activities to be achieved, and if so, EvalIndigenous might need to build into its planning those different sets of activities.

But again, I might be wrong about much of this. As always, any and all comments from you and others are most welcome.

Best, Mike Hendricks

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

A. Regarding expanding the body of knowledge about indigenous evaluation approaches and practices (IEAs&Ps), perhaps EvalIndigenous is aiming to:
    1. Document currently undocumented IEAs&Ps
    2. Encourage the development of new IEAs&Ps
    3. Bring together into one accessible repository all these IEAs&Ps (i.e., long-documented, newly documented, and newly developed)
    B. Regarding expanding the awareness about IEAs&Ps, perhaps EvalIndigenous aims that:
    1. Non-indigenous evaluators know and value a variety of IEAs&Ps
    2. Indigenous evaluators know and value a wider variety of IEAs&Ps
    C. Regarding expanding the use of IEAs&Ps, perhaps EvalIndigenous aims that:
    1. Non-indigenous evaluators use a variety of IEAs&Ps, when appropriate, in both indigenous and non-indigenous settings
    2. Indigenous evaluators use a wider variety of IEAs&Ps, when appropriate, in both indigenous and non-indigenous settings
    D. Regarding expanding the involvement of indigenous persons in the evaluation field more broadly, perhaps EvalIndigenous aims that:
    1. More indigenous persons as individuals work in the evaluation field
    2. Indigenous persons as communities are more involved in evaluation activities that directly affect them
    3. Indigenous persons as communities are more able to self-determine the evaluation agendas that directly affect them

Comment

Working...
    X